Thursday 27 September 2012

Using recycled fabrics

One of the things that everyone knows about quilts is that they were often made of scrap or old material. I had been collecting my husband and son's old shirts, pyjamas and nightshirts for a number of years because I liked the fabric but with no end in mind. One hot summer (yes we have had them) I decided that we needed a throw for the bed rather than a duvet and set to work. I used large and small squares and rectangles. (The flowered fabrics were added to balance the strips and plaids)


 For those in the know 'jellyrolls' have become very popular and I liked some of the quilts made from them. So I collected more shirts/blouses and just used strips.


After the single bed size quilt I made a lap quilt.


Then I went back to the squares design but added appliqued hearts.


Then I tried the strips alongside plain fabric in a different format.


This one had a fleece background and was made using the 'quilt-as-you-go' technique.


All of the quilts are cut out using a rotary cutter, machine pieced and then hand quilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...