Tuesday 3 September 2013

Ready for the off ...

We are just about ready to leave for our trip to Northern Europe. The route is planned (ish) and will take in many centres famous for their Textiles.


The van has been serviced and cleaned, is full of food, clothing etc. The only problem is what textile work shall I take with me. I could take my book inspired by Francis Pickering (see last blog) to complete and even make more, recording my travels.

Whenever I travel by plane, train or coach I take small hexagons (4cm across) to make patchwork.


I start by tracing round a plastic template and roughly cutting the hexagons out, mainly from recycled fabrics but also small pieces left over from making something else. This is completed before I travel and stored with needle, thread and thread cutter in a zipped washbag. Whilst travelling I fold over the raw edges of each hexagon and tack them down. I then sew ten together in a row. I would then sew ten rows together. In this way the work never gets too large to travel with. These blocks of hexagons can then be sewn together into whatever size you want. So far I have made two king size throws and almost have enough for a double one.

Something else I work on periodically is crochet. I have made all sorts of things: blankets, toys, hats, slippers, baby clothes, etc. After a trip to Sheffield with my daughter recently we discovered lovely crochet hooks with flat bamboo handles. These are really fun to use and so I started making small 'granny' squares.


I have about fifty so far but as they're only 6cm square I will need quite a few more.

I could of course take something that is put together but still needs quilting. The flowers and leaves are appliqued, with the designs being taken from the printed fabric. I plan to quilt similar shapes onto the plain triangles.



Of course it goes without saying that I have to take my sketchbooks, pens, paints, etc. Perhaps I don't need so many clothes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...