Thursday 16 July 2015

Argentina

Last month I once again had the opportunity to visit Buenos Aires. I really like the city and have found the people helpful and friendly. On the Sunday I went to San Telmo, one of the older sections of the city. There is a huge market along the main street with plenty of off shoots and wonderful hidden courtyards.


There is, of course, a great fruit and vegetable market (all under cover) and I just loved the colours and textures.


In amongst the food there are lots of antique and bric-a-brac stalls with wonderful collections.


I suppose you would expect to see lots of things made from leather and there are loads. What I found interesting was that most of it still had hairs on and was dyed bright colours. Patchwork was very popular.


There was also a lot of hand woven, knitted and crocheted items available. Interestingly the triangular shawls are actually woven on a triangular frame.


 Of course there was plenty of food and drink available. Some from restaurants where they would have open coal grills (the steak was yummy) or you could buy snacks from street vendors. The portable coffee urn was the first I had seen.


 There was also plenty of music and dancing going on.


Antique shops abound and are quite eclectic and sumptuous.


All over Buenos Aires are beautiful and intricate balconies, windows and shutters.


On Tuesday I went to the 'Cementerio de la Recoleta' which I absolutely loved the last time I was there. It was quite dull and drizzling which added to the atmosphere.



I also went to El Caminito which is another favourite area. The brightly painted corrugated zinc buildings are great.



If you ever get the chance to visit Buenos Aires I would recommend you take it but make sure that when you change money at the airport you keep your receipt or you will not be able to change any back before you return home.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...