Sunday 30 March 2014

Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch

Last week I went to see the above show at the NEC. There was some lovely work on display and I had the chance to have quite long chats with several of the artists.

Two of my favourite artists are Linda and Laura Kemshall. I subscribe to DMTV and so it was lovely to see in 'real life' many of the pieces I had seen on the screen. Linda had been creating a series of painted birds from her garden, these were then digitally printed onto fabric. Of course I had to buy one for myself and one for my daughter.


Laura had been working on some large quilts and these were displayed behind their workstation.


There was also plenty of printed and dyed fabric and threads.


I was looking forward to seeing the project 'Barkcloth to ArtShoes' as it was promoting the charity 'Hands up for Uganda' and my daughter has recently returned from living in Uganda. The shoes were decorated by a whole variety of artists and were beautiful.


 The shoes were displayed alongside traditional baskets and mats made in Uganda.

I was also captivated by the work of Gillian Travis who kindly let me photograph her work. You may notice the resemblance to photographs on earlier posts. Gillian has travelled widely in India and we had a good chat about the textiles we had seen there. I recommend her book 'Journeys in Stitch'.


There was an amazing exhibition showcasing embroidery from Palestine.


 These are wedding pillowcases from the Hebron area in the 1920's.


The picture below on the left shows a historical Qabbeh and the one on the right is a modern interpretation of it.


There was an exhibition of costumes from the film version of 'Les Miserables'. Costumes worn by Helena Bonham Carter (the Thenardiers) and Hugh Jackson (Jean Valjean)


Costumes worn by Russell Crowe (Javert)


Costumes worn by Sasha Baron Cohen (the Thenardiers)


 Another artist whose work I really admired was Hilary Beattie. Not only was her work wonderful but she was more than willing to explain how she had constructed each piece. She gave a good hours length demonstration of how she creates both her canvasses and her collages. I highly recommend her book 'Make it Personal'  which is full of clear pictures and instructions on how to create your own work.

Echinacea 1

Echinacea 2 and 3

Beauty Matters 2 and 1

It was a lovely show and I enjoyed the work but I still think £10 for parking is a bit steep. Of all the shows I have visited only the NEC charges this much, most have free parking.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...